Now Reading:

Mladic refuses to plead at UN war crimes tribunal

world news

Mladic refuses to plead at UN war crimes tribunal


Former leader of the Bosnian-Serb army Ratko Mladic will boycott a war crimes hearing on Monday. Mladic is due to appear before the court to enter a plea to 11 charges related to his actions during the 1992 to 1995 Bosnian War. The ex-army chief claims the charges are ‘obnoxious’ and he previously refused to participate in court proceedings in June.

His defence lawyer, Milos Saljic said that Mladic’s defence team has not been approved yet.

Mladic was brought to the UN war crimes tribunal at The Hague last month after spending more than 15 years as a fugitive. His alleged war crimes include orchestrating the 1995 massacre at Srebenica, during which 8,000 Muslim men and boys died, and the deaths of 10,000 people during the siege of Sarajevo.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article