Friday was just the aperitif. After the civil wedding which united Albert and Charlene – now officially Prince and Princess of Monaco – comes Saturday’s more spectacular event which is expected to attract thousands of well-wishers to the principality.
Some 3,500 guests are expected to assemble in the palace courtyard to attend the formal union between the couple.
Friday’s modest ceremony saw Albert and Charlene tie the knot in the crimson-clad throne room of the Pink Palace – watched by their close family and friends.
Afterwards the couple appeared on a palace balcony for the cameras. Albert thanked the crowd for the warm welcome they had shown his princess.
Nicole Manzone of Monaco’s National Council said:
“Princess Grace gave three beautiful children to Monaco, and we affectionately called them ‘the little ones’. We’re marrying the prince. It’s not the prince who’s getting marrried, rather we are marrying the prince.”
Monaco is hoping the marriage will usher in a new age of old-style glamour in the principality.
“You must know that it’s an entire people who are celebrating and who make up one big family. Long live the Prince! Long live the Princess!” said Georges Marsan, the mayor of Monaco.
The wedding is one Monaco thought it would never see. It is the most spectacular since Albert’s mother Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier in 1956.
The food is as lavish as the surroundings.
World-renowned celebrity chef Alain Ducasse has been commissioned by the couple to create a fitting grand finale dinner on Saturday night.
euronews correspondent Laurence Alexandrowicz summed up the event from on board a yacht in Monaco harbour:
“While the royal wedding still has an international impact, we can see here in this beautiful bay that it’s first of all a family affair – for the Monegasques who are deeply attached to the Grimaldi family.”
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 3Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 4Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 5Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Wires > News
- 15:05 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 14:52 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 14:49 CET Croat parliament OKs withdrawal from Slovenia border arbitration
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 14:34 CET China says to fight terror, people smuggling with Turkey
- 14:15 CET Philippine military seeks almost triple defence spending amid…
- 14:00 CET Afghanistan investigating reports of Taliban leader’s death
- 13:55 CET Israeli drone strike in Syria kills two near frontier -…