With only a day to go before the Tour de France gets underway, Spain’s Alberto Contador put on a brave face after being booed by the public at the team presentation on Thursday.
The 34 year old, who tested positive for a banned substance in last year’s event, is taking part in the race pending a final decision on the case by the Court of Arbitration in Sport.
‘‘What happened to me yesterday at the team presentation was very strange but I can honestly say that I have no problems with the public here. Andy Schleck has been training very hard and i think he has a very good chance of winning the tour this year. If I had to pick a favourite, I would pick him as he’ll have a lot of support from his brother Frank. Whatever happens, I’m sure It will be a great race.”
A ruling is expected in early August and despite the possibility that he could soon be stripped of two of his Tour de France titles, Contador told journalists he would be keeping his mind firmly focused on the big event which starts on Saturday.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.