A vast wildfire has been burning around the United States’ research plant where the first atomic bomb was developed. The science lab is one of the world’s biggest. Los Alamos National Laboratory in the state of New Mexico has the country’s largest nuclear weapons arsenal. In a constantly changing situation on Monday, buildings were not touched by flame, and authorities said the threat was low.
The fire started in the Bear Wallow Wilderness area, to the west, in neighbouring Arizona — the biggest fire that state has ever had.
Los Alamos fire chief Doug Tucker said: “This fire is not going to go out today. This fire will be here a while. I do not think it’s going to be a Wallow fire but it has potential to double, triple its size. I hope it doesn’t. We’ve already lost a lot of homes in the Cochiti area and in the Tent area, and I don’t want to see it happen again.”
The town of Los Alamos, population 12,000, was evacuated. A spokesman said the lab is well protected, though a wildfire there 11 years ago caused around a billion dollars in damage. Explosive materials are kept in deep bunkers but plutonium waste lies above ground.
- 1Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 2Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 16:32 CET British government tightens travel warning on Kenya
- 16:13 CET Saudi-led campaign strikes Yemen’s Sanaa, Morocco joins alliance
- 16:08 CET France to begin push for U.N. Middle East action in ‘coming weeks’
- 15:54 CET Somali rebels kill at least seven in attack on Somali hotel
- 15:49 CET Iran, six powers demand mutual concessions in tense nuclear talks
- 15:46 CET Germany needs more immigration from non-EU countries – study
- 15:42 CET No U-turn on road to press freedom, Myanmar says, but critics…
- 15:07 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll