On Monday, just as Iceland’s EU accession talks began, we had the chance to interview Össur Skarpherdinsson, the country’s foreign minister, about the most sensitive issues for these fast-paced negotiations
He’s a friendly, frank speaking politician, someone with many interesting stories to tell over, perhaps fittingly, a plate of fish.
He’s also a marine biologist and a fisherman himself which completes an interesting CV for someone who will lead the EU accession talks (in which fisheries will make the difference, as he explains.)
Actually when he discovered that I am from Spain joked that maybe I was the enemy! He knows that Europe’s fishing superpowers will be decisive in deciding Iceland’s EU future.
Here is the complete interview with Össur Skarphedinsson.
By Rafa CerecedaMore about:
- 1Migrant crisis dominates Merkel and Hollande’s historic EU parliament address
- 2Britain’s anti-EU leader Farage slams Merkel-Hollande parliament address
- 3Discrimination on the rise in Europe
- 4Migrant crisis: EU ministers agree to step up deportations and beef up borders
- 5Brussels refugee camp cleared
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
latest europe news
Migrant crisis: EU ministers agree to step up deportations and beef up borders
Britain’s anti-EU leader Farage slams Merkel-Hollande parliament address
Migrant crisis dominates Merkel and Hollande’s historic EU parliament address
Spain’s King focuses on unity during first European Parliament address
EU’s highest court torpedoes US data deal over privacy fears