In Monaco, the wedding countdown has well and truly begun. The festivities get underway on Thursday evening with a rock concert at the Louis the Second football stadium in the principality.
With a nod to his American heritage, Prince Albert has chosen the legendary Californian band The Eagles to headline. They will be supported by Jason Hartman – a regular feature in the charts in South Africa.
Friday, and the focus turns to the Palace on the Rock. At 5 o’clock, the couple and their families will be joined by dignitaries in the Throne Room for the civil marriage ceremony.
Afterwards, the couple will appear in public on the palace balcony. It was at this stage of her wedding in 1956 that Princess Grace joked that she was “half-married”.
Afterwards, the traditional party for Monegasques will be held in the Square in front of the palace.
After the princely party has returned to the Palace for a short rest, everyone will head down to the Port for a concert by Jean Michel Jarre.
Saturday dawns and the three days of festivities culminate in the solemnity of the religious ceremony.
In a departure from tradition, the Archbishop of Monaco will oversee proceedings in the courtyard of the Palace and not in the nearby Cathedral.
The couple will travel to the nearby chapel of St Devote – Monaco’s patron saint – where the now-Princess Charlene will leave her wedding bouquet on the altar.
In the evening there will be a gala dinner at the Opera Garnier in Monte Carlo, followed by a spectacular firework display over Monaco’s iconic port.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid