As the blockade-busting peace flotilla for Gaza prepares to set sail, Israel may be backtracking on its threat to ban participating journalists.
On Sunday the Government Press Office said any reporter boarding a flotilla vessel would be banned from entering Israel for 10 years. Now Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said he will re-examine the issue.
“The instruction that I gave to the Israeli Defence Forces, backed by the cabinet, is to stop the maritime vessels in case they try to reach Gaza. We will warn them, explain, and try to avoid confrontation,” said Defence Minister Ehud Barak on Monday.
The Israeli navy has already been trying out new tactics to avoid last year’s loss of life when the first aid flotilla was stopped at the cost of nine Turkish lives. Widespread international condemnation of Israel followed the confrontation.