Ukraine has finished building its first solar power station, part of a drive to produce greener energy and reduce the country’s dependence on imported gas.
It wants alternative energy to make up to 30 percent of the total over the next four years; at the moment some 60 percent of energy resources comes from abroad.
Designed by Austrians, the plant’s scope is modest.
It will supply around 5,000 households in the small Crimean village of Rodnikovoe and the surrounding area, but Ukraine’s green ambitions stretch much further.
The country is the 12th largest energy market in the world and exports electricity to several neighbours. Its southern regions have a high potential for solar energy.
Next month should see the completion of another solar plant 60 kilometres away, providing power to 20,000 consumers.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Rival warnings echo growing US-Russia gulf over Ukraine
- 4Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 14:44 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gazan border – Palestinian…
- 14:35 CET Iraqi forces battle Islamic State in towns north of Baghdad
- 14:29 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president
- 14:28 CET Fighters from Syrian al Qaeda wing close in on Shi’ite village -…
- 14:14 CET Over 25 killed in attack on Nigerian fishing community
- 14:08 CET Putin says Russia not isolated over Ukraine, blames West for…
- 13:43 CET Journalists remember 32 colleagues slain in the Philippines
- 13:11 CET U.N. worker leaves French hospital after Ebola recovery