Thousands of young people took to the streets of Spain’s capital Madrid again on Sunday.
They were angry at high unemployment and politicians who they said were not doing enough to reverse the country’s bleak economic prospects.
Chanting “They don’t represent us” the protesters converged on the Spanish parliament building determined to send a message.
A 29-year-old, Jose Luis, said: “The politicians continue to ignore us, they keep saying we are protesting against the crisis, because of unemployment. What we are protesting against is their attitude, we don’t like it, they ignore us when we are out here in the streets. We have a clear message, but they water it down, manipulate it and say other things.”
Similarly fed-up Spaniards marched in other major cities, including Barcelona where protests turned violent earlier this week.
Though they are vague about what should change, the protesters blame bankers and politicians for Spain’s more than 20 percent unemployment rate, which among young people is over 40 percent.
The latest protests were organised by the M15 movement – a group that came together using social media tools like Facebook and Twitter.
It came one week after demonstrators removed their tents from central Madrid’s Puerta del Sol square, where they had been camping in protest at the government’s handling of the country’s economic crisis.
The 25-day protest, which at one point managed to bring out 28,000 demonstrators, became a world-wide symbol of Spanish discontent. With the encampment dismantled, M15 plans a series of protests across Spain organised in local neighbourhoods.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 00:10 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday
- 23:19 CET U.S. political fight over Iran nuclear deal goes Hollywood
- 22:32 CET Pentagon chief gives nod to arm more troops in U.S. after shooting