The King of Morocco is due to announce proposals for constitutional reform tonight in response to nationwide demonstrations.
Mohammed VI is to make a televised address, with some reports indicating he will include curbs on his powers.
Back in March he appointed a commission to investigate options for reform, weeks after the start of demonstrations.
Opposition political parties took part in consultations.
Abderrahmane Benamrou, Secretary General of the Justice and Development party, said: “I think in general the project has taken into consideration most of the suggestions of the parties. The general atmosphere of the meeting was good, with the participation of all parties. We will present this draft to our different groups, before taking the right decision.”
But it remains to be seen whether protest groups will be satisfied. Observers say the King’s proposals are likely to be put to a national referendum.
The demand for reform comes as security concerns are heightened, following a deadly bomb attack in Marakech at the end of April.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 23:21 CET Brazil Senate planning impeachment vote for last days of Olympics
- 23:10 CET Urging tougher stance, U.N. adds 2,500 peacekeepers to Mali
- 23:07 CET North American leaders vow to boost trade despite threats
- 21:56 CET Obama urges Venezuela to respect democratic process
- 21:30 CET Groups urge U.N. to suspend Saudi Arabia from rights council
- 21:18 CET CIA’s Brennan says expects that IS is plotting attacks against U.S.
- 20:57 CET Switzerland and EU need to find compromise on immigration – EU’s…
- 20:32 CET Italy votes to halt aviation supplies to Egypt over student death