A towering nine-kilometre cloud of ash and rocks continue to emanate from the Puyehue volcano in Chile.
Mount Puyehue shook itself awake on June 4 for the first time in 50 years.
The eruption itself is awe-inspiring. Volcanoes in Chile send out more ash because the magma is thicker and rises more slowly to the surface.
Chile’s chain of 2,000 volcanoes is the world’s second-largest after Indonesia. This is the latest eruption in Chile in recent years and it shows no sign of stabilising.
And that is bad news for air travellers. Ash in the atmosphere means flights have been grounded as far away as Western Australia.
Services to New Zealand and Tasmania have been affected while airports in Argentina and Uruguay have also been closed.
An erupting volcano in Iceland last year led to 100,000 flights being cancelled, mainly in Europe, at a cost of 1.2 billion euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 16:31 CET Venezuela says 13 inmates die of overdose after robbing infirmary…
- 16:23 CET Israel says foiled Hamas plans for Jerusalem attacks
- 16:19 CET Venezuela suspends some private jet flights in security operation
- 16:17 CET Explosion, gunfire heard in diplomatic quarter of Afghan capital
- 16:15 CET Insight – Army splits that let Yemen’s capital fall augur new risks
- 15:30 CET ‘Hugo Chavez studies’: Venezuela’s latest academic trend
- 15:23 CET Ebola shows WHO needs revamp, says U.N. reformer Rudd
- 15:03 CET Prince William to make first UK royal visit to China in 30 years