June 12 is Russia Day – a national holiday celebrating the anniversary of the Russian Federation becoming a sovereign state in 1990. The national holiday itself was declared two years later by then President, Boris Yeltsin, and is also known as the country’s Independence Day. As it has fallen on a Sunday this year, Monday will also be a public holiday.
To mark the event, President Dmitry Medvedev gave national awards to prominent Russian writers, scientists and humanitarian workers. These awards are part of the annual celebrations.
However, the holiday is not popular with everyone. Many Russians see it as commemorating a negative historical event – the day the Soviet Union was dissolved, which lead to unemployment and poverty. Some refuse to mark the occasion. Left-wing protesters in Moscow called for the return of what they see as the real Russia – the former Soviet one.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:16 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:55 CET Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident -…
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 01:20 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98
- 23:09 CET Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine…