June 12 is Russia Day – a national holiday celebrating the anniversary of the Russian Federation becoming a sovereign state in 1990. The national holiday itself was declared two years later by then President, Boris Yeltsin, and is also known as the country’s Independence Day. As it has fallen on a Sunday this year, Monday will also be a public holiday.
To mark the event, President Dmitry Medvedev gave national awards to prominent Russian writers, scientists and humanitarian workers. These awards are part of the annual celebrations.
However, the holiday is not popular with everyone. Many Russians see it as commemorating a negative historical event – the day the Soviet Union was dissolved, which lead to unemployment and poverty. Some refuse to mark the occasion. Left-wing protesters in Moscow called for the return of what they see as the real Russia – the former Soviet one.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
‘Scotland’s voice will be heard’ – Sturgeon vows to fight to maintain EU ties
Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
EU leaders gather for the post-Brexit summit in Brussels
Germany says UK will not be allowed to ‘cherry pick’ over Brexit deal
Wires > News
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…
- 18:09 CET Sweden, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. council for 2017-18
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…