Sicilians are not normally renowned for their punctuality but something strange is afoot that’s making them turn up early for work.
Hundreds of digital clocks on the island are running more than 15 minutes fast and no-one is quite sure why. The phenomenon has left people scratching their heads for weeks and several theories have been put forward involving aliens, poltergeists, volcanic activity on Mount Etna and solar explosions. Armageddonists are pointing to further proof of the imminent end of the world.
The town of Catania lies at the heart of the mystery and two young locals have set up a facebook page calling for those affected to come forward. One of them, Francesco Nicosia, told French online magazine Rue89 “I realised something was wrong when I started getting to work earlier. After some investigation I noticed that I wasn’t the only one who was on time, which is quite rare here in Sicily.”
This isn’t the first time the island has experienced strange goings on linked to electronic devices: several years ago electronic equipment started spontaneously catching fire across the rural countryside, reports Rue89.
Among the most credible explanations is electrical disturbance caused by underwater cables that have been undergoing maintenance, but that hasn’t stopped many who think that the whole thing is a conspiracy to punish Sicilians for their tardiness.
Latest world news
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Wires > News
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount
- 16:57 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen confirms retreat from port city of Mukalla
- 16:55 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China
- 16:52 CET Rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at least 12 dead
- 16:26 CET Air strikes pound Syria’s Aleppo, ‘calm’ farther southwest
- 15:39 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 15:37 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 15:20 CET Germany to ask European Commission to allow extension of border…