NATO appeared to be keeping up its rate of air strikes over Tripoli as at least two explosions were heard Monday evening. In an earlier attack Libyan officials claimed a bombed-out building had been government owned while Britain’s RAF said it had belonged to the secret service.
In a sign that NATO’s campaign is having an impact, Libyan rebels have been able to seize the the mountain town of Yafran from pro-Gaddafi forces.
The southern part of Yafran had been under siege by government troops for more than a month – its population, mostly from the Berber ethnic group, have joined the uprising against the Gaddafi regime.
So far NATO says it has destroyed more than 1,800 legitimate military targets and last week decided to extend operations for another 90 days. However the alliance’s chief has appealed for more military support from other coalition members.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.