*June 1, 1967.* The Beatles release their eighth studio album ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’. It was recorded in 129 days after a period in which the group had enjoyed some rest after deciding to stop touring. Their creative juices flowing once again, McCartney, Lennon, Starr and Harrison along with influential producer George Martin were back to their their most creative and experimental. Boasting tracks such as ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’, ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ and ‘A Day in the Life’, the album is the Beatles’ biggest selling with around 32 million copies sold. Regarded as one of the first ‘concept’ albums, it is often to be found on greatest albums lists compiled within the music industry.
*Also on June 1:* Publication of Charles Baudelaire’s ‘Les Fleurs Du Mal‘ (1857); General Motors files for bankruptcy (2009).
Born on June 1: Carl von Clausewitz (1780), Marilyn Monroe (1926), Morgan Freeman (1937), Ronnie Wood (1947), Justine Henin (1982).
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 01:25 CET Two attacks in central Nigerian city of Jos – witnesses
- 23:03 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 22:50 CET Heavy fighting as Iraqi forces try to surround Falluja
- 20:38 CET Albanian police catch suspected killer of Czech tourists
- 18:13 CET Greek referendum final polls show ‘No’ vote ahead by small margin
- 18:06 CET Insight – Fears of Syria war persist in Lebanese border village
- 17:46 CET Lebanese Hezbollah and Syrian army enter rebel-held border city