01/06/11 08:41 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
*June 1, 1967.* The Beatles release their eighth studio album ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’. It was recorded in 129 days after a period in which the group had enjoyed some rest after deciding to stop touring. Their creative juices flowing once again, McCartney, Lennon, Starr and Harrison along with influential producer George Martin were back to their their most creative and experimental. Boasting tracks such as ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’, ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ and ‘A Day in the Life’, the album is the Beatles’ biggest selling with around 32 million copies sold. Regarded as one of the first ‘concept’ albums, it is often to be found on greatest albums lists compiled within the music industry.
*Also on June 1:* Publication of Charles Baudelaire’s ‘Les Fleurs Du Mal‘ (1857); General Motors files for bankruptcy (2009).
Born on June 1: Carl von Clausewitz (1780), Marilyn Monroe (1926), Morgan Freeman (1937), Ronnie Wood (1947), Justine Henin (1982).
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 17:07 CET Panama opens canal extension, only a dozen heads of state attend
- 16:48 CET Switzerland set to ask EU for limited migration curbs – president
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree