Support for alleged war criminal Ratko Mladic is not restricted to Serbia. Serb nationalists were out on the streets of Pale in Bosnia Herzegovina on Thursday night. The town was the administrative centre of the breakaway Republika Srpska during the Bosnian War.
People were also showing their support in the former capital of the Republika Srpska, Banja Luca.
One man on the street said:
“My comments about the arrest are negative. This isn’t good for Serbia or anyone else.”
Another supporter from Banja Luca said he was sad that the only Serb hero who had fought for the republic had been arrested.
In the centre of Serbia’s capital, about 200 people demonstrated after Mladic was captured.
A Belgrade-based court is holding hearings which could see the former general facing charges of genocide at The Hague in as little as seven working days.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 15:39 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 15:37 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 15:20 CET Germany to ask European Commission to allow extension of border…
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic