Football’s governing body, FIFA, will scrutinise the organisation’s President Sepp Blatter.
The move is a result of a request to FIFA’s ethics committee by Qatari Mohamed bin Hammam, one of the 24 executive committee members of FIFA and the only other candidate to contest Blatter in the upcoming presidential race.
FIFA has said in a statement that the basis for bin Hammam’s claim is that FIFA Vice-President Jack Warner, who is also under investigation, would have informed Blatter in advance about alleged cash payments made to him.
Blatter said in a statement “I cannot comment on the proceedings that have been opened against me. The facts will speak for themselves.”
The 75-year-old Blatter, who has been at the head of FIFA since 1998, will face the ethics committee on Sunday. Both bin Hammam and Warner will also be at the same hearing to answer the allegations that “bundles of cash of up to $40,000 (28,000 euros) were handed over to members of the Caribbean Football Union at meetings in Trinidad,” according to the Guardian.
Earlier this month Lord Triesman, head of England’s failed 2018 bid to host the World Cup, accused Warner of asking for £2.5 million (2.9 million euros) for the construction of an education centre in return for supporting England’s bid.
FIFA’s executive committee comprises 24 men who decide on World Cup hosts from their headquarters in Zurich. One third of its members have been accused of corruption or breaking the body’s code of ethics.
“No additional comments will be made by FIFA until further notice,” according to the statement. The group’s leadership is due to elect either Blatter or bin Hammam as next FIFA president on Wednesday but with both of them, as well as the current vice president, all under investigation for improper conduct, many people are calling for a complete overhaul of the way the world’s most popular sport is run.
By Ali Sheikholeslami