First the Arab world, then Madrid, now Athens. Outraged Greek youth has taken its lead from the Arab spring and Spanish protests over unemployment.
Thousands of mostly young people have heeded a Facebook campaign and demonstrated for a second night in Constitution Square, in front of the Greek parliament. Other cities saw similar if smaller protests.
It follows the Greek government’s announcement of a new wave of cost cutting reforms to tackle the debt crisis.
“Enough is enough. The time has come to react and fight back against all those who brought us to this situation,” said one jobless young woman.
“They should go and leave us alone. They have taken and stolen more than enough. We are outraged and that’s why we’re here,” said a male protester.
Athens has seen many union-organised protests against austerity measures, but this is described as the first major non-political rally.
But Greece’s EU Commissioner has warned that without tough sacrifices, the country’s euro membership is at risk.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 5‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 11:11 CET Ukraine passes law to boost armed forces by a third
- 11:04 CET Russia starts large-scale military exercises in disputed…
- 10:59 CET Myanmar students exit education bill hearing in solidarity with…
- 10:40 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…
- 10:29 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for Singapore train graffiti
- 09:47 CET Kerry briefs Iran’s Gulf rivals on nuclear talks
- 09:39 CET Sri Lanka threatens Chinese firm with legal action to stop project
- 09:11 CET U.S. Syria strategy falters with collapse of rebel group