First the Arab world, then Madrid, now Athens. Outraged Greek youth has taken its lead from the Arab spring and Spanish protests over unemployment.
Thousands of mostly young people have heeded a Facebook campaign and demonstrated for a second night in Constitution Square, in front of the Greek parliament. Other cities saw similar if smaller protests.
It follows the Greek government’s announcement of a new wave of cost cutting reforms to tackle the debt crisis.
“Enough is enough. The time has come to react and fight back against all those who brought us to this situation,” said one jobless young woman.
“They should go and leave us alone. They have taken and stolen more than enough. We are outraged and that’s why we’re here,” said a male protester.
Athens has seen many union-organised protests against austerity measures, but this is described as the first major non-political rally.
But Greece’s EU Commissioner has warned that without tough sacrifices, the country’s euro membership is at risk.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 2Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 344 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 4No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 5‘Only Russia’ dangerously probes British airspace, says source
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:15 CET Bahrain revokes nationality of 72 on security grounds
- 15:02 CET Palestinians in Syria cut off from aid once more – U.N.
- 14:52 CET Italy elects senior judge Sergio Mattarella as president
- 14:45 CET Anti-euro German AfD party aims to end leadership dispute
- 14:42 CET U.S. reports 27 more strikes against Islamic State
- 14:33 CET Two cases of child pornography possession in Vatican in 2014
- 14:23 CET Bangladesh opposition says leader’s Internet, electricity cut amid…
- 14:10 CET Egyptian court bans Hamas’ armed wing, lists as terrorist…