First the Arab world, then Madrid, now Athens. Outraged Greek youth has taken its lead from the Arab spring and Spanish protests over unemployment.
Thousands of mostly young people have heeded a Facebook campaign and demonstrated for a second night in Constitution Square, in front of the Greek parliament. Other cities saw similar if smaller protests.
It follows the Greek government’s announcement of a new wave of cost cutting reforms to tackle the debt crisis.
“Enough is enough. The time has come to react and fight back against all those who brought us to this situation,” said one jobless young woman.
“They should go and leave us alone. They have taken and stolen more than enough. We are outraged and that’s why we’re here,” said a male protester.
Athens has seen many union-organised protests against austerity measures, but this is described as the first major non-political rally.
But Greece’s EU Commissioner has warned that without tough sacrifices, the country’s euro membership is at risk.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:26 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow plane collision
- 03:23 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:16 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 01:20 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98