18/05/11 02:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hoping to repeat the success of Egyptian people power, various groups in Spain have occupied Madrid’s main square of “Puerta del Sol”.
Students, workers and the unemployed have called their protests the ‘May 15 Movement’ signifying the date on which they first came out onto the streets in 50 cities across the country.
Like the Arab Spring activists, they use twitter and the internet to rally support. Calling for fewer police and more education the demonstrators say their words are their weapons.
Discontent with Spain political system and the country’s high unemployment rate has galvanised the disparate groups.
While mainly peaceful, there have been some clashes with police and several arrests.
Wires > News
- 07:34 CET China, Russia urge U.S. to drop Korea missile defence proposal
- 06:33 CET Iran holds run-off parliamentary election – state TV
- 06:15 CET Shanghai Hongqiao airport fire put out, two dead – state TV
- 06:07 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 05:54 CET Japan’s corpse hotels upset some of the neighbours
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial