The world’s first international solar-powered flight has been completed. The Solar Impulse landed in Belgium after a 12-hour journey from Switzerland.
It made its way through crowded European airspace, flying over France and Luxembourg before arriving safely in Brussels to an enthusiastic welcome.
The plane has made several short trips since its maiden flight last year, but negotiating the commercial air traffic system was a particular challenge.
“Here we are, Solar Impulse is in Belgium, in Zaventem, Brussels airport, and it has been months of work for the entire team to coordinate the flight, to have permission (to fly), to have the plane ready,” said the plane’s founder Bertrand Piccard.
Co-founder and Solar Impulse pilot André Borschberg said:
“The idea of the project is to demonstrate that the technology we have available today… on this airplane can be bought by anybody, and these technologies allowed us to fly with the power of a small motorcycle.”
Travelling at the speed of a small motorbike – an average of 70 kilometres per hour – means the Solar Impulse does not pose an immediate threat to commercial flights, which can easily cruise ten times faster.
The plane’s founders say it shows the potential for pollution-free travel.
The project began in 2003 with a 10-year budget of 90 million euros. A larger prototype is scheduled to fly around the world in 2013.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
Wires > News
- 18:21 CET Leftist takes early lead in Turkish Cypriot presidential runoff
- 18:04 CET Syrian jets pound insurgent-held town – monitor
- 18:00 CET Bangladeshi opposition leader says will retaliate if election is…
- 17:39 CET U.S., allies conduct 23 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 17:38 CET Niger army fights Boko Haram for Lake Chad island after attack
- 17:17 CET Nepal’s hospitals swamped as quake toll passes 2,400, thousands…
- 16:44 CET Car bombs, suicide attack kill at least 22 in Iraq
- 15:41 CET Eyeing Arab ties, Israel to observe nuclear pact meeting