The world’s first international solar-powered flight has been completed. The Solar Impulse landed in Belgium after a 12-hour journey from Switzerland.
It made its way through crowded European airspace, flying over France and Luxembourg before arriving safely in Brussels to an enthusiastic welcome.
The plane has made several short trips since its maiden flight last year, but negotiating the commercial air traffic system was a particular challenge.
“Here we are, Solar Impulse is in Belgium, in Zaventem, Brussels airport, and it has been months of work for the entire team to coordinate the flight, to have permission (to fly), to have the plane ready,” said the plane’s founder Bertrand Piccard.
Co-founder and Solar Impulse pilot André Borschberg said:
“The idea of the project is to demonstrate that the technology we have available today… on this airplane can be bought by anybody, and these technologies allowed us to fly with the power of a small motorcycle.”
Travelling at the speed of a small motorbike – an average of 70 kilometres per hour – means the Solar Impulse does not pose an immediate threat to commercial flights, which can easily cruise ten times faster.
The plane’s founders say it shows the potential for pollution-free travel.
The project began in 2003 with a 10-year budget of 90 million euros. A larger prototype is scheduled to fly around the world in 2013.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
Malaysia: Ex-leader urges ‘people power’ to topple scandal-hit PM
Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors
- 21:05 CET Egypt sets October election date, after three years without…
- 19:23 CET U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 18:21 CET Swazi police confirm 13 die in crash en route to royal ceremony
- 17:49 CET Scioli expands lead in Argentina presidential race, runoff seen