The world’s first international solar-powered flight has been completed. The Solar Impulse landed in Belgium after a 12-hour journey from Switzerland.
It made its way through crowded European airspace, flying over France and Luxembourg before arriving safely in Brussels to an enthusiastic welcome.
The plane has made several short trips since its maiden flight last year, but negotiating the commercial air traffic system was a particular challenge.
“Here we are, Solar Impulse is in Belgium, in Zaventem, Brussels airport, and it has been months of work for the entire team to coordinate the flight, to have permission (to fly), to have the plane ready,” said the plane’s founder Bertrand Piccard.
Co-founder and Solar Impulse pilot André Borschberg said:
“The idea of the project is to demonstrate that the technology we have available today… on this airplane can be bought by anybody, and these technologies allowed us to fly with the power of a small motorcycle.”
Travelling at the speed of a small motorbike – an average of 70 kilometres per hour – means the Solar Impulse does not pose an immediate threat to commercial flights, which can easily cruise ten times faster.
The plane’s founders say it shows the potential for pollution-free travel.
The project began in 2003 with a 10-year budget of 90 million euros. A larger prototype is scheduled to fly around the world in 2013.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:25 CET China to ‘regulate’ foreign NGOs with new law
- 11:12 CET Spain’s Princess Cristina to stand trial on tax fraud charges
- 10:36 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, raising alarm
- 10:32 CET Germany to step up bird flu testing after new cases discovered
- 10:09 CET China charges Jackie Chan’s son over drug offence
- 08:48 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican
- 07:38 CET China issues property registration rules to aid anti-graft drive