Tennessee authorities have warned residents to leave their homes in Memphis as the Mississippi River reaches close to record levels.
Low-lying neighbourhoods have already been cleared.
The area is suffering its worst flooding since the 1930’s.
In some parts the river has swollen to a width of 4 kilometres, six times wider than normal, and is flowing at speeds of 19 kilometres an hour.
As many as 3,000 homes and businesses have been damaged in the floods caused by melting snow and heavy rain.
To add to the difficulties those in the disaster zone are being advised to watch out for displaced snakes, alligators and rats as they seek shelter on higher ground.
Graceland the former home of Mr Hips, the late Elvis Presley is said to out of harms way.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Armenia remembers the victims of 1915 massacre
- 4No more aid till ‘big, big problems’ solved, Eurogroup tells Greece
- 5Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:53 CET Ukrainian serviceman killed in rebel attack near Mariupol -…
- 12:52 CET Togo votes in delayed presidential election
- 12:38 CET Nepal death toll from quake rises to 449 – police
- 12:30 CET Contemporary dance steps out in Poland after communism
- 12:20 CET Chinese woman activist says interrogated a week after release
- 12:08 CET Iran moves ships, reducing tensions near Yemen – Pentagon’s Carter
- 10:45 CET Insurgents seize large parts of Syria’s Jisr al-Shughour – monitor
- 09:41 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary