Tennessee authorities have warned residents to leave their homes in Memphis as the Mississippi River reaches close to record levels.
Low-lying neighbourhoods have already been cleared.
The area is suffering its worst flooding since the 1930’s.
In some parts the river has swollen to a width of 4 kilometres, six times wider than normal, and is flowing at speeds of 19 kilometres an hour.
As many as 3,000 homes and businesses have been damaged in the floods caused by melting snow and heavy rain.
To add to the difficulties those in the disaster zone are being advised to watch out for displaced snakes, alligators and rats as they seek shelter on higher ground.
Graceland the former home of Mr Hips, the late Elvis Presley is said to out of harms way.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 5Istanbul: Police negotiate with gunmen who’ve taken prosecutor hostage
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:01 CET Gambia convicts six over failed plot to topple Jammeh
- 00:52 CET Iraqi forces drive Islamic State out of central Tikrit – PM
- 23:36 CET Lufthansa flight school knew of crash pilot’s depression
- 23:24 CET Morocco court jails investigative reporter on adultery charges
- 22:53 CET Chad, Niger troops retake Nigeria border town from Boko Haram
- 22:17 CET Prosecutor dies of wounds after Istanbul hostage shootout
- 21:38 CET Hurricane-strength winds pummel Europe, four killed
- 21:13 CET Obama lifts hold on U.S. military aid to Egypt