The Liberal Democrats have been punished in England in local elections, losing 300 councillors after counting in less than half the constituencies were completed.
Their coalition colleagues, the Conservatives, have gained with 45 more councillors. The biggest winners are the Labour party with 339 more representatives.
LibDem Leader Nick Clegg said “we have taken a real knock last night and we’ll need to learn the lessons. We need to get up, dust ourselves down, and move on,” Mr. Clegg said.
LibDems lost control of four councils, including Sheffield, where Clegg is a member of parliament. Supporters of the party have shown unease over how the coalition has worked and changes to LibDems’ promises since before the general elections.
Raising university tuition fees was one of the worst blows to Clegg, as it was a clear deviation of LibDem agenda.
More pain may be in store for Clegg after results of a referendum aimed at reforming the electoral system in the UK come out. Polls suggest that a ‘no’ result is very likely.
See results for England local elections here.
By Ali Sheikholeslami
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Kenya announces plans to reopen Nairobi mall after attack
- 15:08 CET Germany to invest in French military satellite programme – document
- 15:06 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, warns of…
- 15:01 CET Malaysian airliner crash investigators appeal for missile witnesses
- 14:57 CET Hong Kong activists use newspaper petition to warn of academic…
- 14:44 CET Turkish Airlines flight lands in Casablanca after bomb threat
- 14:35 CET Germany says Greece must flesh out reforms to unlock aid
- 13:42 CET War crimes court revokes Serb nationalist Seselj’s compassionate…