The Liberal Democrats have been punished in England in local elections, losing 300 councillors after counting in less than half the constituencies were completed.
Their coalition colleagues, the Conservatives, have gained with 45 more councillors. The biggest winners are the Labour party with 339 more representatives.
LibDem Leader Nick Clegg said “we have taken a real knock last night and we’ll need to learn the lessons. We need to get up, dust ourselves down, and move on,” Mr. Clegg said.
LibDems lost control of four councils, including Sheffield, where Clegg is a member of parliament. Supporters of the party have shown unease over how the coalition has worked and changes to LibDems’ promises since before the general elections.
Raising university tuition fees was one of the worst blows to Clegg, as it was a clear deviation of LibDem agenda.
More pain may be in store for Clegg after results of a referendum aimed at reforming the electoral system in the UK come out. Polls suggest that a ‘no’ result is very likely.
See results for England local elections here.
By Ali Sheikholeslami
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 5Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Latest world news
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Barack Obama: ‘Comedian-in-Chief’
Wires > News
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…
- 13:48 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source