The operator of Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant says that seawater radioactivity fifteen kilometres offshore has risen significantly. Plant operator TEPCO reports it is 600 times the maximum allowed by law.
The company has released a new video of the inside of reactor number one. A US-made robot recorded the images on April 29. Experts confirmed that electricity cables were safe and there were no water leaks, but said radiation levels were higher than expected.
Following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami disaster, hundreds of tons of highly contaminated water from the plant was released into the north Pacific Ocean.
As cleanup in the surrounding danger area proceeds, new filtering equipment and fencing were being set up. Tokyo Electric Power has said it may take the rest of this year to bring the nuclear plant back under control.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
At least 20 pilgrims dead after truck crashes into crowd in Mexico
Greenpeace protest halts icebreaker in Oregon
Wires > News
- 11:08 CET Killer of Cecil the lion should be extradited, Zimbabwe says
- 10:45 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka rally, one dead
- 10:34 CET Syria air strikes hit Nusra after attack on Western-backed rebels…
- 10:17 CET Four Indians detained in Islamic State stronghold in Libya
- 09:45 CET Blast kills at least five in Nigeria market – police, rescue worker
- 09:04 CET Philippines’ Aquino endorses interior minister as successor
- 08:53 CET Return of Thai protest leader raises fears for fragile calm
- 08:38 CET Myanmar president not ruling out second term