The commander of NATO forces in Libya has denied the attack on a building inside Muammer Gaddafi’s Bab al-Aziziyah compound was an attempt on the leaders life.
The Libyan government accused NATO of targeting Gaddafi.
The Commander of NATO operations in Libya is Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard:
“With regards to the engagement that we conducted in Tripoli. I continue to stay focused not on individuals. This is not about individuals, this is not about regime change, this is about bringing an end to violence against the population by engaging troops that are directly bringing harm to the population.”
The head of NATO operations accused Libyan forces of using civilians as human shields and that violence against the Libyan people is widespread.
More than a month of NATO air attacks have failed to tip the balance in a conflict that is being described as a bloody stalemate.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting