The commander of NATO forces in Libya has denied the attack on a building inside Muammer Gaddafi’s Bab al-Aziziyah compound was an attempt on the leaders life.
The Libyan government accused NATO of targeting Gaddafi.
The Commander of NATO operations in Libya is Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard:
“With regards to the engagement that we conducted in Tripoli. I continue to stay focused not on individuals. This is not about individuals, this is not about regime change, this is about bringing an end to violence against the population by engaging troops that are directly bringing harm to the population.”
The head of NATO operations accused Libyan forces of using civilians as human shields and that violence against the Libyan people is widespread.
More than a month of NATO air attacks have failed to tip the balance in a conflict that is being described as a bloody stalemate.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount
- 16:57 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen confirms retreat from port city of Mukalla
- 16:55 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China