Rebels’ celebrations in Libya’s third largest city Misrata, amid hopes that a two-month long siege by Gaddafi’s troops was over, appear to have been premature.
The rebels say they are again under heavy bombardment.
The shelling came despite Libya’s Deputy Foreign Minister saying military operations in Misrata had been suspended for 48 hours to allow local tribal leaders to negotiate with rebels.
Hundreds have died in street battles between the rebels and government forces.
During the earlier lull in fighting in the centre of the only rebel stronghold in western Libya, people ventured out looking for supplies. One man, driving with his family, said: “It’s hard to get food, you have to queue for hours to get bread or benzine [fuel].”
The overall trend of fighting in Libya is still far from clear with no sign yet of Gaddafi being dislodged from his power base in Tripoli.
At least three explosions were heard in Tripoli on Saturday evening after NATO aircraft flew over the capital, drawing Libyan anti-aircraft fire.
Earlier the US said it had used an unmanned drone for the first time in Libya, destroying a government rocket launcher near Misrata.