Palestinian youths have clashed with Israeli soldiers at Joseph’s Tomb in the occupied West Bank and Israeli settlers stoned Palestinian vehicles after an Israeli civilian was shot dead and four others wounded.
The Ultra-Orthodox Jewish settlers were shot by a Palestinian policeman as they went to the holy site without permission.
The shrine, near Nablus in Palestinian controlled territory, can only be visited with an Israeli military escort.
The PLO’s Saeb Erekat said they are still trying to work out exactly what happened: “We have an investigation committee. But this behaviour of the settlers had led to the situation. We hold the Israeli government responsible for these settlers’ behaviour.”
Tension was already high in the West Bank after an Israeli family of settlers were stabbed to death last month near Nablus.
Israel’s Defence Minister Ehud Barak condemned the shooting as “murder”, said it was unjustified and called on the Palestinian Authority to “take all necessary measures” against those responsible.
Mourners at the funeral for the dead man shouted “vengeance”.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 5Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:44 CET U.N. Secretary General to meet with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad
- 08:34 CET Two policemen shot, injured in Saudi capital
- 08:31 CET Ex-Israeli PM Olmert convicted in another corruption case
- 07:22 CET Clashes with Taliban halt supply of power in south Afghanistan
- 07:07 CET Republicans see Obama as more imminent threat than Putin -…
- 02:43 CET Major 7.7 quake strikes off Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning…
- 02:36 CET Syria’s Assad says Islamic State has expanded since start of …
- 00:55 CET Air Canada plane landed short, hit antennas in Halifax accident