Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has announced plans to arrest the declining birth rate in Russia and to extend life expectancy.
The government is set to spend the equivalent of 36 billion euros to boost the birth rate by up to 30 percent by 2015.
That was one of a raft of policies outlined in a wide ranging speech lasting two hours by Russia’s premier to the lower house of the Russian Parliament.
He said the country was emerging powerfully from the global financial crisis and warned the economy must diversify away from energy and mineral exports and reduce its economic dependence on the outside world.
“The country needs a decade of strong, calm development. Without different kinds of swings, poorly thought out experiments based on, at times, unjustified liberalism or on the other hand social demagoguery,” he said.
As Moscow prepares for a presidential election next year Putin did not say whether he and Dmitry Medvedev had agreed which of them would run.
Analysts see Putin’s emphasis on his governments economic achievements in his speech as the prime minister underlining his credentials.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 5Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 23:04 CET Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow -…
- 23:02 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 22:53 CET U.S. begins vetting Syrian rebels for military training – Pentagon
- 22:24 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, former teacher ‘La Tuta’
- 22:19 CET Obama to host Afghan President Ghani at White House in March
- 20:50 CET UAE and Kuwait to reopen embassies in Yemen’s south, backing Hadi
- 20:47 CET Cameron vows to hunt down ‘Jihadi John’
- 20:45 CET Nearly half of Greeks would back Syriza in new election – poll