Now Reading:

Blame game in Belarus after deadly metro blast

world news

Blame game in Belarus after deadly metro blast


Prosecutors believe it was terrorism. But as Belarus pays tribute to the dozen people killed in Monday’s metro station blast in the capital, mystery remains over who carried it out.

Security has been stepped up in Minsk as police hunt culprits thought to have detonated the rush- hour bomb by remote control. Several suspects have been arrested but the blame game is just beginning.

“I would believe that the authorities would blame the Belarussian opposition,” said defence analyst Pavel Felgenhauer. “The opposition forces will say that this was a provocation by the Belarussian KGB. The result, most likely, is we won’t know for sure, for some time, who is actually behind this.”

The bombing comes amid tension over President Alexander Lukashenko’s controversial re-election last year and his crackdown on the opposition.

More than 100 people were hurt in the blast, some seriously. At odds with the West over his authoritarian rule, Lukashenko claims it may have been a foreign attempt to destabilise the country.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article