Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has sent the army on the streets for the first time after almost two weeks of civil unrest. The 45-year-old is facing the most serious crisis of his 11-year rule. Assad has promised to consider reforms, but this has failed to calm protesters’ anger. The government says its hated, decades-old emergency law will be lifted, but has not said when.
Dozens have died in pro-democracy protests in the southern city of Deraa and surrounding towns.
The military are on the streets of Latakia, where 12 people died in demonstrations on Saturday.
The discontent in Syria has a sectarian basis.
It originates in Deraa, where the majority Sunni Muslim population resent the power and wealth amassed by the elite Alawite minority.
Offices of the governing Baath Party were set on fire on Saturday.The authorities blame armed groups for sparking the bloodshed.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 02:57 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least two dead
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…