Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has sent the army on the streets for the first time after almost two weeks of civil unrest. The 45-year-old is facing the most serious crisis of his 11-year rule. Assad has promised to consider reforms, but this has failed to calm protesters’ anger. The government says its hated, decades-old emergency law will be lifted, but has not said when.
Dozens have died in pro-democracy protests in the southern city of Deraa and surrounding towns.
The military are on the streets of Latakia, where 12 people died in demonstrations on Saturday.
The discontent in Syria has a sectarian basis.
It originates in Deraa, where the majority Sunni Muslim population resent the power and wealth amassed by the elite Alawite minority.
Offices of the governing Baath Party were set on fire on Saturday.The authorities blame armed groups for sparking the bloodshed.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:48 CET U.S. says Iranian forces fire on and board cargo ship in Gulf
- 17:46 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, threatens referendum
- 17:10 CET Baltimore cleans up, mayor scrambles after riot over…
- 16:50 CET Man who fought in Syria detained in Bosnia over police killing
- 16:39 CET Obama hosts Japan’s Abe, hails alliance as ‘indestructible’
- 16:30 CET EU’s Mogherini, Iran’s Zarif to hold talks in New York on Tuesday
- 16:25 CET Kurds arrest five over bombing outside U.S. consulate in Erbil
- 16:16 CET Xenophobia row exposes rivalry between South Africa and Nigeria