Oil prices will stay above 100 dollars a barrel for the next couple of years according to the latest poll of energy industry analysts.
They have sharply revised their forecasts up because of the political tensions in the Middle East.
And that means potentially rich pickings for Manoj Patel a small investor – or for those who blame him for pushing up prices a speculator.
He explains his business as: “High risk, high reward,” and said he doesn’t buy oil, he buys oil futures: “I have no use of a single barrel of oil, I just trade it from a trading perspective.”
Michael Greenberger, the former head of the US government regulator of commodity futures complains that has an effect for all of us. :
“It’s accelerating the price of all oil products, gasoline, crude oil, heating oil and other energy products, for no good reason,” Greenberger said.
His former employer, the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission, is considering regulations to curb excessive speculation.
As for future prices, the only thing analysts agreed on is that protests in the Middle East and North Africa and the tragedy in Japan make it unusually difficult to forecast prices.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 10:13 CET VW committee proposes extending CEO Winterkorn’s contract
- 10:11 CET FTSE edges higher, buoyed by Ashtead and pharma
- 10:05 CET Deutsche Bank co-CEO says won’t cut China presence
- 10:03 CET Pilots’ union threatens renewed strikes at Lufthansa
- 09:53 CET British retailer Halfords suffers cycling sales wobble
- 09:49 CET Australia second-quarter economic growth hits lowest in two years…
- 08:55 CET Tesco picks buyout firm MBK as preferred bidder for South Korea…
- 08:39 CET Britain’s ASOS founder steps down as CEO