People in Benghazi have held a rally in support of the allied air campaign against Colonel Gaddafi’s forces.
Coalition air strikes are credited with stopping an advance by government forces in its tracks, and giving a huge morale boost to the rebels.
Among the crowds were banners expressing thanks – in English and French – to the countries involved, and plenty of pre-Gaddafi era Libyan flags.
As the UN prepares again to discuss Libya, there were also some words of advice for those who have not backed military action.
“Russia and China, better to be with the Libyan people than this tyrant”, read on banner.
Reports from New York say the breakaway Libyan delegation at the UN, who backs the rebels, is trying to build a diplomatic network parallel to that of the Gaddafi regime.
The rebels are asking the international community to do more to protect civilians.
Our correspondent in Benghazi, Mustafa Bağ, said:
“The Gaddafi-controlled Libyan media claimed that the people here didn’t support the no-fly zone. But today they reacted against that, as the gathering here in front of the law courts shows. There are plenty of women in the crowd which totals roughly 15,000.”
- 1Afghanistan wedding party ends in massacre
- 2United Arab Emrates leads way with planned mission to Mars
- 3Fires: thousands in emergency shelters as huge blazes take hold in France and Spain
- 4Kurdish women fighting ISIL on the frontline
- 5Growing tension over new Turkish military offensive in Syria and Iraq
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 4Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 5Anger over ‘slaughter of 250 pilot whales’ in the Faroe Islands
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
South Korea declares end to MERS, World Health Organization exercises caution
Boy Scouts of America lift ban on gay leaders
South Sudan families are reunited after being torn part by civil war
South Sudan set to dominate Obama address to African Union
Turkey and the US plan ‘ISIL-free’ buffer zone in northern Syria
Wires > News
- 10:13 CET German ‘wisemen’ say euro zone states should be able to go bankrupt
- 10:09 CET Attack halts flow in natural gas pipeline from Iran to Turkey
- 10:08 CET Bangladesh police arrest six in crackdown on Islamist groups
- 10:07 CET Rescuers find 13 dead migrants on packed boat off Libyan coast
- 09:59 CET Thailand aims for upgrade from U.S. trafficking blacklist next…
- 09:57 CET Austria investigating Dutch far-right politician Wilders over…
- 09:50 CET Malaysian PM reshuffles cabinet, dumps deputy after 1MDB criticism
- 09:06 CET Two Bahraini policemen killed in bombing – Interior Ministry