The extent of the damage caused by air strikes in Libya is clear. A series of burned out vehicles is all that remains of a government military convoy that had been advancing on the eastern rebel stronghold, Benghazi.
The tanks and heavy weaponry were destroyed in the first wave of air strikes by Western powers at the weekend. The West says its campaign is working, and has dismissed a ceasefire announced by government forces last night.
The focus of the air-strikes has now shifted. They are targeting Gaddafi’s forces around the eastern town of Adjabiya, which the rebels hope to retake.
In central Benghazi witnesses said there were sporadic explosions and heavy exchanges of gunfire late into Sunday evening. The Libyan government said 64 people were killed in the weekend’s bombardments, but there is no independent confirmation of the claim.