Boeing has announced deals to sell 10 billion dollars worth of planes to Air China – the country’s flagship carrier – and Hong Kong based Hainan Airlines.
Air China is buying five of Boeing’s newest, largest version of the 747 jumbo jet; with 450 seats it is a rival to the Airbus A380. It is a significant sale because orders for that Boeing aircraft have been slow.
China is the world’s fastest growing market and likely to buy more than 2,000 aircraft over the next five years.
As air travel becomes more popular among China’s increasingly wealthy population, Chinese airlines are keen to expand fleets to compete with regional players such as Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
China’s purchases of aircraft will help drive overall demand in Asia-Pacific, where average annual air traffic growth is expected to grow by 6.8 percent over the next 20 years, higher than the global pace, Boeing said. Asia-Pacific is likely to make up a third of global aircraft demand over the next 20 years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 12Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 07:45 CET AB InBev profit capped by weak U.S., stagnant Brazil
- 07:22 CET Sony reports narrower second-quarter loss than estimated on strong…
- 07:22 CET BOJ shocks markets with surprise easing as inflation slows
- 07:19 CET Credit Suisse posts 390 million Swiss francs net litigation…
- 07:08 CET BNP back in profit, on look out for bolt-on acquisitions
- 07:02 CET BNP Paribas third-quarter net income up 11 percent, revenues rise
- 06:51 CET BOJ shocks markets with surprise easing as inflation slows
- 06:49 CET Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with more easing steps