Boeing has announced deals to sell 10 billion dollars worth of planes to Air China – the country’s flagship carrier – and Hong Kong based Hainan Airlines.
Air China is buying five of Boeing’s newest, largest version of the 747 jumbo jet; with 450 seats it is a rival to the Airbus A380. It is a significant sale because orders for that Boeing aircraft have been slow.
China is the world’s fastest growing market and likely to buy more than 2,000 aircraft over the next five years.
As air travel becomes more popular among China’s increasingly wealthy population, Chinese airlines are keen to expand fleets to compete with regional players such as Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
China’s purchases of aircraft will help drive overall demand in Asia-Pacific, where average annual air traffic growth is expected to grow by 6.8 percent over the next 20 years, higher than the global pace, Boeing said. Asia-Pacific is likely to make up a third of global aircraft demand over the next 20 years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Business
- 11:27 CET Accounting watchdog studying Tesco statements
- 11:21 CET New bank TSB gains customers in challenge to big banks
- 11:17 CET Rapid economic growth slows slightly in third quarter
- 11:07 CET Cobham in $561 million deal for Australia airborne search and…
- 10:54 CET Weaker travel and leisure stocks push FTSE lower
- 10:49 CET Weaker travel and leisure stocks push FTSE lower
- 10:40 CET Online financing, rising costs squeeze profits at China’s midsize…
- 10:35 CET Rapid UK economic growth slows slightly in third quarter