Boeing has announced deals to sell 10 billion dollars worth of planes to Air China – the country’s flagship carrier – and Hong Kong based Hainan Airlines.
Air China is buying five of Boeing’s newest, largest version of the 747 jumbo jet; with 450 seats it is a rival to the Airbus A380. It is a significant sale because orders for that Boeing aircraft have been slow.
China is the world’s fastest growing market and likely to buy more than 2,000 aircraft over the next five years.
As air travel becomes more popular among China’s increasingly wealthy population, Chinese airlines are keen to expand fleets to compete with regional players such as Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
China’s purchases of aircraft will help drive overall demand in Asia-Pacific, where average annual air traffic growth is expected to grow by 6.8 percent over the next 20 years, higher than the global pace, Boeing said. Asia-Pacific is likely to make up a third of global aircraft demand over the next 20 years.
- 1Britain’s economy slows as trade hit by global decline
- 2Spain’s solar energy firm Abengoa begins insolvency proceedings
- 3Copernicus: down-to-Earth opportunities for SMEs reaching for the stars
- 4Summer tourism helps Spain’s economy grow more than other eurozone countries
- 5Will anti-austerity Portugal become the new Greece?
- 1Russia-Turkey trade in question as Moscow to ‘reconsider’ ties with Ankara
- 2New 20 euro notes come into play on Wednesday
- 3Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain
- 4Spain’s solar energy firm Abengoa begins insolvency proceedings
- 5Germany won’t lower minimum wage for migrants, says economy minister Gabriel
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Business
- 10:10 CET UK banks await turn of credit screw by Bank of England
- 01:43 CET BoE’s Vlieghe says ‘relaxed’ about waiting to hike rates
- 01:42 CET China’s shadow banking risk shifts to booming bond market
- 16:22 CET Lufthansa agrees on pay with ground personnel – Verdi union
- 05:58 CET Exclusive: Lazard works with Sanofi on $12.7 billion animal health…
- 23:58 CET Murdoch: Tribune papers likely to be sold, LA Times split off
- 21:48 CET Brazil to sue BHP, Vale for $5 billion in damages for dam burst
- 20:41 CET Britons head online in hunt for Black Friday bargains