Three Dutch soldiers have been captured by militia loyal to Libya’s Colonel Gaddafi. Like other European countries Holland has been evacuating its citizens, largely without any problems.
But these soldiers were attacked and captured after landing in a helicopter near the city of Sirte, to rescue two Dutch people. Sirte is Gaddafi’s home town.
The incident was first reported in a Dutch newspaper on Thursday, but actually happened last Sunday. Information had been held back for security reasons.
The two civilians the soldiers went to rescue were subsequently handed over to the Dutch embassy.
Intensive negotiations are now underway to secure the captured soldiers’ release.
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump
- 11:51 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting goes on elsewhere in Syria
- 11:39 CET Kremlin to NATO – Resurgent Russia not a threat, but will defend…
- 11:31 CET Europe to urgently assess risk of drones hitting planes
- 11:20 CET Syria’s Assad says goal is ‘final victory’ in Aleppo
- 11:05 CET China protests at U.S. accusations of abuse of religious groups
- 10:54 CET Bangladesh Islamist party leader to hang for war crimes
- 10:48 CET Philippines’ Poe vows to thwart ‘executioner’ Duterte, won’t quit…