A Libyan air force jet has reportedly crashed near Benghazi after its crew bailed out after refusing to bomb the city. According to Libya’s Quryna newspaper quoting a military source, the two pilots landed safely by parachute some 160 kilometres from the city.
Benghazi and most of eastern Libya have not been under government control since the start of an uprising against leader Muammar Gaddafi last week.
Euronews spoke to an eyewitness in Benghazi who asked to keep his identity secret.
“There have been air raids around Benghazi but they only targeted empty locations. They didn’t attack the military base, for example, but an empty mine field close to the base,” he told us on the telephone.
“After Gaddafi’s speech yesterday, we were slightly afraid, because he’s capable of anything,” said the eyewitness.
“If he regains control of Libya he would be prepared to kill, he would even use chemical weapons against his people. We’ve known him a long time, we know how he thinks, he is sick and we know that he suffers from megalomania.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Haiti leaders clinch last-minute deal to form interim government
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Algerian lawmakers pass reforms boosting parliament powers
- 13:36 CET Several dual citizens in Iran face espionage charges – official
- 13:16 CET In Aleppo, underground schools face bombardments and burnout
- 13:02 CET Air strike kills mother and child in Libya’s Derna – witness
- 12:31 CET South Africa won’t declare national disaster over drought
- 12:04 CET UAE says ready to send ground troops to Syria
- 11:27 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika