Now Reading:

Egypt's prayers are answered as Mubarak quits

world news

Egypt's prayers are answered as Mubarak quits


Friday 11 February, 2011: the 18th day Egypt’s revolution turned out to be the day the demonstrators’ prayers were finally answered.

They defied their government’s repeated calls to return to work and descended upon Cairo’s Tahrir Square to call for Hosni Mubarak to step down.

Then later that evening, Vice President Omar Suleiman appeared on Egyptian state television with the news the protesters had been waiting for: Mubarak was gone.

Suleiman said that Mubarak had quit because of the difficult situation facing Egypt and the military would now step in to take control.

Those comments sparked celebrations in Cairo, but also across the rest of Egypt.

With the army now in charge, a military spokesman then released a statement in which he paid tribute to those who lost their lives during the political unrest.

“There is no legitimacy other than that of the people,” he said.

However, a long-time Mubarak associate heads Egypt’s Higher Council of the Armed Forces.

75-year-old Mohammed Hussein Tantawi served as the ousted president’s minister of defence for almost twenty years.

It might not be the fully-fledged democracy they are seeking but for now Egyptians are celebrating their toppling of a hated autocrat without any help from the international community.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article