The Vatican has commented on the sex scandal allegations surrounding Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi… calling on politicians to show “robust morality”.
Catholic publications had already described the scandal as being like a “damaging tornado”.
But the intervention of the Vatican’s number two is likely to be more influential.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, secretary of state and second only to Pope Benedict, said:
“The Vatican is following with attention and concern these Italian affairs that fuel an awareness of great responsibility towards families and the new generations and towards their demand to set an example.”
The 74-year-old PM denies paying for sex with a dancer, who was 17 at the time.
Berlusconi has threatened a new law to prevent judges from pursuing elected officials.
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Café Comercial closes, uproar in Madrid
Obama urges nations to respect democracy in African Union speech
Crucial bailout talks begin in Greece
Sewel: UK Peer resigns from House of Lords over drugs allegations
Turkey: NATO meets in Brussels as Ankara toughens its stance against the Kurds
Wires > News
- 17:04 CET Saudi-led raid on Yemen plant appears unlawful – Rights Watch
- 16:47 CET Hillary Clinton should hand over private email server – U.S. House…
- 16:45 CET Le Pen father gets French court victory over daughter
- 16:40 CET Cyprus unites behind EU protection for halloumi cheese
- 16:32 CET Ukrainian military pilot held by Russia has alibi – lawyers
- 16:27 CET Bomb kills two policemen in worst Bahrain bombing in months
- 16:22 CET Benghazi suicide bomber kills three Libyan soldiers, wounds 11 -…
- 16:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV