Germany’s dioxin contaminated eggs scandal has spread to pork, and could also concern poultry, as well as cow’s milk. More than 4,700 German farms were closed down last week as a precaution.
The European Union has said it is not considering aid to affected producers, as repairing the damage is not held to be the EU’s responsibility.
A European Commission spokesman said: “This is the fourth time in ten years there has been a dioxin accident in the EU: in 2003 in Germany, 2006 in Belgium, 2008 in Ireland and now in 2010-2011 again in Germany. Each time it is linked to fats released into the food chain. We think four times in a decade is enough!”
A north German firm is suspected of knowingly supplying animal feed makers thousand of tonnes of fats meant for industrial use with high levels of potentially carcinogenic dioxins.
The Commission has told animal feed producers to propose their own corrective measures, before it considers legally-binding EU rules.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in West Bank arson attack
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 13:12 CET Nusra Front attacks Western-backed rebels in northern Syria
- 13:12 CET Palestinian toddler killed; Jewish arsonists suspected
- 13:03 CET Suspect in Charleston church massacre to be arraigned on hate…
- 12:40 CET Freeing of Chinese loggers riles Myanmar citizens
- 12:29 CET U.N. raps Philippines for failing to rehouse typhoon homeless
- 12:15 CET Under Western pressure, Kosovo to put war crimes court to new vote
- 11:43 CET Russia’s Putin, Turkey’s Erdogan to discuss TurkStream this autumn…
- 11:39 CET China paper says ‘wicked man wiped out’ after graft probe