Europe’s passport-free Schengen travel area will not open up to Bulgaria and Romania as soon as they had hoped.
France and Germany have cited concerns over border management and asylum policy, and told the European Commission that this would be premature.
Next March had been the two poorest EU members’ window of opportunity.
The Schengen area includes 22 of the EU’s 27 members plus Iceland, Switzerland and Norway, and eliminates all internal border controls between them, while strengthening these with non-member states.
Paris and Berlin also said the two countries, which joined the EU in 2007, and whose judicial systems are undergoing reform, have not done enough to reduce corruption and fight organised crime.
A country may only join Schengen if all the signatories agree.
- 1Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 2Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 3Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 4Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 5Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:01 CET Four Iraqi soldiers killed fighting with Islamic State in Tikrit
- 12:55 CET Somalia hotel siege ends, 14 dead – government
- 12:34 CET Netherlands seeks to join Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- 12:06 CET German eurosceptic leader says infighting won’t rip party apart
- 11:34 CET Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 10:45 CET Iranian negotiator denies discussion of 2-3 page nuclear deal -IRNA
- 10:31 CET Czech PM says two Czechs kidnapped in Pakistan released
- 10:07 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship