Europe’s passport-free Schengen travel area will not open up to Bulgaria and Romania as soon as they had hoped.
France and Germany have cited concerns over border management and asylum policy, and told the European Commission that this would be premature.
Next March had been the two poorest EU members’ window of opportunity.
The Schengen area includes 22 of the EU’s 27 members plus Iceland, Switzerland and Norway, and eliminates all internal border controls between them, while strengthening these with non-member states.
Paris and Berlin also said the two countries, which joined the EU in 2007, and whose judicial systems are undergoing reform, have not done enough to reduce corruption and fight organised crime.
A country may only join Schengen if all the signatories agree.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:55 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 20:22 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession