Russian police and OMON riot squad officers have launched a major anti-hooligan operation in Moscow and other cities, arresting at least 800 people after an explosion of ethnic violence.
The centre of Moscow around the Kremlin, including Red Square and neighbouring Manezh Square, was sealed off as officers moved in. More arrests were made at the capital’s Kievsky station, and in other towns and cities including St Petersburg.
Police moved in for fear of further clashes between ethnic Russian youths and gangs hailing from the North Caucasus. Violent street battles erupted last weekend, sparked by the death of a Spartak Moscow football fan in fighting between the two groups.
Many of those arrested were said to be carrying weapons including knives, air rifles and stun guns. Police said most of the suspects originally came from the Caucasus.
There’s been long-standing tension between ethnic Russians and Caucasian minorities who move to big cities like Moscow to find work.
- 1Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 2Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 3Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 4Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 5Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 10:45 CET Iranian negotiator denies discussion of 2-3 page nuclear deal -IRNA
- 10:31 CET Czech PM says two Czechs kidnapped in Pakistan released
- 10:07 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 09:45 CET Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military…
- 09:15 CET At least 15 dead in Somalia hotel attack, militants say end siege
- 07:31 CET Japan is set to extend sanctions on North Korea – Nikkei
- 07:08 CET Crowds swell to bid farewell to Singapore’s founder Lee ahead of…