Severe weather conditions have caused death and disruption throughout Europe.
A 31 year old man died after being struck by lightning in Jaen in south eastern Spain, and a nine year old boy perished after being swept away 250 kilometres south of Madrid.
In Portugal up to 30 people were injured when a tornado hit Tomar in the centre of the country. Most of the injured were children at a nursery school whose roof collapsed. In a nearby village five people went to hospital after high-voltage power lines came down on top of them.
Hundreds of British motorists in Scotland and northern England had to sleep in their vehicles after a second consecutive night of severe snow and ice when temperatures fell to minus 20 degrees.
Scotland’s First Minister admitted the government had been caught out by a ‘perfect storm.’
In the Russian capital several thousand trucks shifted 150,000 cubic metres of snow as the region experienced its first snowfall of the winter.
One mother out with her child in a Moscow park was not too unhappy, she said: “We like this weather very much, mainly because of the snow.”
At just below zero Moscow was basking in relatively tropical conditions compared to Scotland.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus