Severe weather conditions have caused death and disruption throughout Europe.
A 31 year old man died after being struck by lightning in Jaen in south eastern Spain, and a nine year old boy perished after being swept away 250 kilometres south of Madrid.
In Portugal up to 30 people were injured when a tornado hit Tomar in the centre of the country. Most of the injured were children at a nursery school whose roof collapsed. In a nearby village five people went to hospital after high-voltage power lines came down on top of them.
Hundreds of British motorists in Scotland and northern England had to sleep in their vehicles after a second consecutive night of severe snow and ice when temperatures fell to minus 20 degrees.
Scotland’s First Minister admitted the government had been caught out by a ‘perfect storm.’
In the Russian capital several thousand trucks shifted 150,000 cubic metres of snow as the region experienced its first snowfall of the winter.
One mother out with her child in a Moscow park was not too unhappy, she said: “We like this weather very much, mainly because of the snow.”
At just below zero Moscow was basking in relatively tropical conditions compared to Scotland.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:00 CET Arab summit agrees on unified military force for crises
- 14:57 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 14:42 CET Putin letter to Arab summit triggers strong Saudi attack
- 14:38 CET Air Canada flight slides off Halifax runway, 23 injured
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades