It is a love affair between idea, form and environment. It is eco-design. A concept that has evolved over the years and today has come into its own.
At first eco-design just meant recycling says Anne-Marie Boutin, President of the Agency for the Promotion of Industrial Creation.
“We then realised that how we process and what we make with the material is just as important as the material itself. The manufacturing of a new item must be as sustainable as the end product itself.”
The enthusiasm for eco-design has grown over the last decade.
Designer Frederic Lecourt explains eco-design means changing the whole decision making process.
“It means thinking about the product in a different way.Throughout the production process the material has to be treated in a sustainable way. We have to think about the way it will be used and its eventual destruction.”
At the Cité des Science et de l’Industrie in Paris, there are currently 209 design and eco-design exhibits, all with very different concepts.
One of them is a pool table manufactured locally from steel rather than traditional timber from the Amazon. Other objects are made from recycled materials including a prototype public bench.
It was created in Paris by the design agency Sismo. They were commissioned to create an original design to show that the whole of a drinks carton could be recycled.
Another aim was to make an object that encouraged city dwellers to recycle more.
The bench was chosen because it uses a large amount of recycled material.
Frederic Lecourt’s brief was to create a sustainably processed product that encouraged people to recycle more and that could be produced on a large scale.
“Taking into account all these factors we came up with the idea of a bench. Designing an item that everyone can use and that you can find in the street proves to everyone that recycling is worthwhile.”
The drink cartons used are originally made from cardboard, plastic and aluminium. The cardboard is already recycled to make a vast array of products, but the plastic and aluminium has, until now, had limited uses. Designers were set the task of finding a new use for the remaining waste products.
“This type of material is not very nice and that’s why we thought of using it for a bench,” says Frederic. “It is hard to use it to make small items because it is not very refined. A smaller item requires a more delicate finish. You can still see little bits of the aluminium and plastic in the bench but that is not a problem because we wanted to show that it’s a recycled item.”
4000 cartons are needed to make just one bench.
The concept shows how eco-design now means being environmentally friendly in every phase of development, from the design of the product right the way through to its final use.
- 1Water-powered motorbike brainchild of Brazilian civil servant
- 2El Niño is causing havoc in Central America, Asia and Africa
- 3Fit for football: kicking unhealthy lifestyles into touch
- 4The Astronaut Academy: “This thin blue line makes our planet livable.”
- 5Scientists predict big things for the tiny CubeSat: ‘a satellite in a shoe box’
- 1El Niño is causing havoc in Central America, Asia and Africa
- 2Water-powered motorbike brainchild of Brazilian civil servant
- 3The Astronaut Academy: “This thin blue line makes our planet livable.”
- 4Fit for football: kicking unhealthy lifestyles into touch
- 5Zika virus – race on in the battle find a vaccine
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”