Now Reading:

Violence threat hangs over Ivory Coast poll

world news

Violence threat hangs over Ivory Coast poll


Candidates in Ivory Coast’s presidential election have called for an end to violence as the country prepares for Sunday’s poll.

The latest rally held by challenger Alassane Ouattara passed off without incident, but international observers fear large scale violence if the loser refuses to accept the results.

Outtara won 32 per cent of the vote in October’s first round of voting.

Incumbant President Laurent Gbagbo secured 38 per cent.

Clashes between supporters of both candidates have marred campaigning over the last month.

The Interior Ministry confirmed fights resulted in the deaths of two men this week.

Friday’s rallies centred on the southern town of Abidjan but violence has been reported across the country.

Ivory Coast’s Presidential election has been due for 5 years but only became possible after negotiations between President Gbagbo and rebels in the north of the country.

A nationwide curfew after the poll to prevent interference in vote counting has been criticised by the opposition as suspicious.

The UN has said a further 500 troops will be sent to assist its peacekeeping mission for a month after the poll.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article