Now Reading:

All 29 trapped miners in NZ believed dead

world news

All 29 trapped miners in NZ believed dead


Relatives of the trapped 29 miners in New Zealand have received the worst news: police at the scene have said following a second explosion at the Pike River colliery, all of the men are now believed dead.

Hope had been fading for the miners ever since surveillance camera footage from the entrance of the mine showed the strength of Friday’s blast.

It left little room for optimism that anyone could still be alive.

A newly drilled bore hole close to where it was believed the men may have been holding out also showed high levels of methane gas and very little oxygen.

Despite all the signs, the owners of the mine had told relatives rescue teams would go in once the gas levels had lowered. Now it seems that if they do enter, it will only be to recover bodies.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article