For the first time Cardinals from all over the world have been invited by the Pope himself to participate in a reflection and prayer day at the Vatican. This highly-unusual event is further proof that the Catholic Church is facing its worst-ever crisis.
During this weekend’s Consistory, the Pope will elevate 24 bishops to the rank of cardinal, the first opportunity for these cardinal-designates to better integrate into the elite group of “Princes of the Church”.
Tensions with China and the sexual abuse scandal are Friday’s main topics of discussion, even if some cardinals say they do not feel concerned about these matters.“Well, I think this meeting is a usual thing, and the abuse matter isn’t a direct concern for me or for other cardinals, not at all,” said Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan from Mexico. The first sexual abuse scandals related to the Catholic Church started to receive public attention in the 1980s. But the latest scandal in Europe became public a year ago with the publication of the Murphy Report. It showed the conclusions of Ireland’s public inquiries into sexual abuse in Dublin. The accusations triggered a wave of sexual abuse revelations all over the world, but mostly in Europe.
Pope Benedict XVI recognized the facts and apologized, but the victims want more from the Catholic Church.Another matter for debate is tensions with the Chinese regime. The Vatican released a statement before this Friday’s meeting saying that the Holy See is “disturbed” by information that several bishops in China are being compelled to attend the ordination of a bishop of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, also called The State Church, not recognised by the Vatican.
If the ordination goes ahead it would be the first case considered illicit by the Vatican since 2006.
At the synod, religious freedom was also one of the topics of discussion. This is a major concern for the Vatican after al-Qaeda’s attack against a Catholic church in Baghdad last month, and Asia Bibi’s death penalty sentence in Pakistan.
Forty-five-year-old Bibi, the mother of five children, has been sentenced to be hanged for having blasphemed the prophet Muhammad in 2009.
- 1We will not be moved! Resistance to China’s urban spread [PHOTOS]
- 2British probe into child sex abuse reveals 1400 suspects
- 3Netanyahu supports call for a two-state solution with Palestinians
- 4ISIL controls more than half of Syria after seizing Palmyra
- 5EU refusal to accept migrant quotas ‘unacceptable’
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 16EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 19:22 CET Two killed in grenade attack in Burundi capital
- 19:02 CET EU, ex-Soviet neighbours patch over rifts with eye on Russia
- 18:58 CET Accused arms smuggler left Tunisia for Italy before museum attack…
- 18:53 CET U.S. State Department posts first set of Hillary Clinton emails…
- 18:51 CET South Sudan government says it is in control of oil-producing…
- 18:48 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 18:46 CET Insight – Islamic State expands its ‘state’
- 18:35 CET U.N. raises alarm after attack on South Sudan peacekeeping site