For the first time Cardinals from all over the world have been invited by the Pope himself to participate in a reflection and prayer day at the Vatican. This highly-unusual event is further proof that the Catholic Church is facing its worst-ever crisis.
During this weekend’s Consistory, the Pope will elevate 24 bishops to the rank of cardinal, the first opportunity for these cardinal-designates to better integrate into the elite group of “Princes of the Church”.
Tensions with China and the sexual abuse scandal are Friday’s main topics of discussion, even if some cardinals say they do not feel concerned about these matters.“Well, I think this meeting is a usual thing, and the abuse matter isn’t a direct concern for me or for other cardinals, not at all,” said Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan from Mexico. The first sexual abuse scandals related to the Catholic Church started to receive public attention in the 1980s. But the latest scandal in Europe became public a year ago with the publication of the Murphy Report. It showed the conclusions of Ireland’s public inquiries into sexual abuse in Dublin. The accusations triggered a wave of sexual abuse revelations all over the world, but mostly in Europe.
Pope Benedict XVI recognized the facts and apologized, but the victims want more from the Catholic Church.Another matter for debate is tensions with the Chinese regime. The Vatican released a statement before this Friday’s meeting saying that the Holy See is “disturbed” by information that several bishops in China are being compelled to attend the ordination of a bishop of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, also called The State Church, not recognised by the Vatican.
If the ordination goes ahead it would be the first case considered illicit by the Vatican since 2006.
At the synod, religious freedom was also one of the topics of discussion. This is a major concern for the Vatican after al-Qaeda’s attack against a Catholic church in Baghdad last month, and Asia Bibi’s death penalty sentence in Pakistan.
Forty-five-year-old Bibi, the mother of five children, has been sentenced to be hanged for having blasphemed the prophet Muhammad in 2009.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:19 CET On U.S. visit, Netanyahu warns an Iran deal could threaten…
- 16:59 CET Tanzania albinos decry politicians as police halt protest over…
- 16:52 CET Iraq launches attack to retake Tikrit from Islamic State
- 16:47 CET Twitter, law enforcement investigate alleged Islamic State threats
- 16:36 CET Blood near the Kremlin: Russia’s media fight back
- 16:34 CET Pro-Russian rebels train for more fighting despite Ukraine truce
- 16:21 CET Sri Lankan doubts on loans, submarines seen as rebuff to Beijing
- 16:17 CET Myanmar president hosts rare Suu Kyi talks amid constitution debate