The UN Security Council on Tuesday deplored a deadly Moroccan police raid on a squatter camp in Western Sahara but the Council failed to back rebel calls for a full UN investigation into the violence.
The main Western Sahara rebel group warns it could withdraw from peace talks with Morocco because of the November 8 raid. Morocco has said 12 people, including 10 Moroccan police officers, died in clashes with protesters. The Polisario Front rebels say dozens were killed.
Meanwhile, Spanish Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba met with his Moroccan counterpart, Taieb Cherkaoui in Madrid. Cherkaoui agreed to comply with any requests from Spain to investigate the raid, Perez said after the meeting.
Morocco took control of Western Sahara, a former Spanish colony, in 1975, sparking a bitter dispute with rebels. The Polisario Front want a referendum on greater autonomy for the disputed territory.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 12:14 CET No new signal has been received from EgyptAir jet since day of…
- 12:01 CET French fuel blockade lifted, Hollande says won’t let protesters…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees
- 11:57 CET Philippine arrests 10 Chinese fishermen in latest sea spat
- 11:56 CET U.S. is ‘two-faced’ if it does not see Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 11:39 CET Nigeria militants blow up gas, oil pipelines – community leader
- 11:02 CET French vessel containing black box probes arrives to EgyptAir…
- 10:57 CET Czech government parties look to calm spat over failed smoking ban…