The UN Security Council on Tuesday deplored a deadly Moroccan police raid on a squatter camp in Western Sahara but the Council failed to back rebel calls for a full UN investigation into the violence.
The main Western Sahara rebel group warns it could withdraw from peace talks with Morocco because of the November 8 raid. Morocco has said 12 people, including 10 Moroccan police officers, died in clashes with protesters. The Polisario Front rebels say dozens were killed.
Meanwhile, Spanish Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba met with his Moroccan counterpart, Taieb Cherkaoui in Madrid. Cherkaoui agreed to comply with any requests from Spain to investigate the raid, Perez said after the meeting.
Morocco took control of Western Sahara, a former Spanish colony, in 1975, sparking a bitter dispute with rebels. The Polisario Front want a referendum on greater autonomy for the disputed territory.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off
- 22:41 CET Wounded Egyptian soldier kidnapped and killed in Sinai – sources
- 22:34 CET Iran’s Yemen-bound aid ship docks in Djibouti, WFP to deliver aid…