Violence has erupted in Greece at a rally to mark the anniversary of a 1973 student uprising.
Police fired teargas at a small group of stone-throwing protesters as thousands marched through Athens.
The annual event is usually marred by trouble, as self-proclaimed anarchists clash with police, but this year heavy rain seemed to dampen spirits.
Nevertheless, some 17,000 students, teachers and pensioners took to the streets to chant slogans more relevant to Greece’s current debt crisis.
One protester said he hoped the rally would act as a springboard for others. “We need to send a powerful message to the EU, the IMF and the Greek government, so that we can rescind the austerity measures,” he added.
Dozens are believed to have been killed in 1973 when tanks smashed through the gates of Athens Polytechnic University to crush a revolt that led to the end of the military dictatorship.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 4Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
- 5Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
“Arrivo Berlin” – a project in Berlin training migrants to prepare for work
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Afghan intelligence agency says Taliban’s leader is dead
- 17:47 CET U.S. approves possible sale of $5.4 billion in missiles to Saudi…
- 17:46 CET Somalia’s planned 2016 elections will not be a popular vote
- 17:36 CET New Italian opposition group pledges support for Renzi reform
- 17:23 CET U.N. mediator proposes Syria working groups on issues in conflict
- 17:15 CET Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 17:10 CET Ukraine names detained Russian soldier, charges him with terrorism
- 16:35 CET U.N. panel questions Iraq over use of torture