Violence has erupted in Greece at a rally to mark the anniversary of a 1973 student uprising.
Police fired teargas at a small group of stone-throwing protesters as thousands marched through Athens.
The annual event is usually marred by trouble, as self-proclaimed anarchists clash with police, but this year heavy rain seemed to dampen spirits.
Nevertheless, some 17,000 students, teachers and pensioners took to the streets to chant slogans more relevant to Greece’s current debt crisis.
One protester said he hoped the rally would act as a springboard for others. “We need to send a powerful message to the EU, the IMF and the Greek government, so that we can rescind the austerity measures,” he added.
Dozens are believed to have been killed in 1973 when tanks smashed through the gates of Athens Polytechnic University to crush a revolt that led to the end of the military dictatorship.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 3Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 4In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 12:21 CET Kremlin – Putin won’t meet Elton John in Moscow this month
- 12:10 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 12:06 CET In dig at U.S., China says all U.S. arms embargoes should go
- 11:57 CET Kremlin – Savchenko’s release won’t accelerate warming in…
- 11:56 CET Australian family facing deportation underlines UK govt…
- 11:37 CET Niger Delta militant attack shuts down Chevron facility – company…
- 11:11 CET French union leads new anti-reform protests, seeks to maintain…
- 11:02 CET Migrant numbers growing again at Calais camp