Yesterday’s series of bomb attacks across Baghdad
suggests the insurgency in Iraq is more of a threat than officials have let on.
Dozens of people were killed and well over 200 injured. At least 10 bombs went off in seven different neighbourhoods, often near busy cafes and restaurants.
It was the third major attack since Friday.
An Iraqi Defence Ministry spokesman said there had been what he called a ‘breach’ of security but the situation was ‘under control’.
The Shi’ite district of Sadr City was one of the areas targeted.
One female resident cried: “We haven’t slept since yesterday. Why should young people die? What have they done?”
The attacks came two months after the Americans formally ended combat operations. A US military spokesman in Baghdad said it looked like typical al Qaeda tactics.
The Iraqi government has vowed to step up security for the country’s Christians following Sunday’s bloody siege in a church.
Al Qaeda is reported to have described Christians as ‘legitimate targets’, saying its demands have not been met.