A new deal to solve a mounting rubbish crisis in Italy has been rejected.
Guido Bertolaso, the man sent by Rome to deal with the mess had offered to suspend the opening of a new waste dump near the city of Naples in an effort to end weeks of angry protests.
But that now appears to have been thrown back in his face after local leaders refused to accept the revised agreement.
In exchange for the suspension, Bertolaso had called for an end to clashes in Terzigno, the site of an existing tip and the town where a new one has been proposed.
‘‘We are stricken with cancer tumours. And then there is always that sickening smell 24 hours a day,’‘ one resident said.
Bertolaso had proposed that Terzigno’s existing dump to be used until it was full, with the rest of Naples’ festering rubbish being sent to an incinerator.
But the public health situation in Italy’s third city appears to be no nearer to being cleaned up.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Rival warnings echo growing US-Russia gulf over Ukraine
- 4Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 16:44 CET Iraqi Kurds prepare Sinjar mountain offensive
- 16:40 CET UPDATE 4-Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of…
- 16:36 CET Over 800 seaborne migrants saved in Italy, northern Cyprus
- 16:33 CET Israeli cabinet approves Jewish nation-state law
- 15:28 CET Iraqi forces say retake two towns from Islamic State
- 14:44 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gazan border – Palestinian…
- 14:28 CET Fighters from Syrian al Qaeda wing close in on Shi’ite village -…
- 14:14 CET Over 25 killed in attack on Nigerian fishing community