A new deal to solve a mounting rubbish crisis in Italy has been rejected.
Guido Bertolaso, the man sent by Rome to deal with the mess had offered to suspend the opening of a new waste dump near the city of Naples in an effort to end weeks of angry protests.
But that now appears to have been thrown back in his face after local leaders refused to accept the revised agreement.
In exchange for the suspension, Bertolaso had called for an end to clashes in Terzigno, the site of an existing tip and the town where a new one has been proposed.
‘‘We are stricken with cancer tumours. And then there is always that sickening smell 24 hours a day,’‘ one resident said.
Bertolaso had proposed that Terzigno’s existing dump to be used until it was full, with the rest of Naples’ festering rubbish being sent to an incinerator.
But the public health situation in Italy’s third city appears to be no nearer to being cleaned up.
- 1MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
- 4Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
- 5US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside