A new deal to solve a mounting rubbish crisis in Italy has been rejected.
Guido Bertolaso, the man sent by Rome to deal with the mess had offered to suspend the opening of a new waste dump near the city of Naples in an effort to end weeks of angry protests.
But that now appears to have been thrown back in his face after local leaders refused to accept the revised agreement.
In exchange for the suspension, Bertolaso had called for an end to clashes in Terzigno, the site of an existing tip and the town where a new one has been proposed.
‘‘We are stricken with cancer tumours. And then there is always that sickening smell 24 hours a day,’‘ one resident said.
Bertolaso had proposed that Terzigno’s existing dump to be used until it was full, with the rest of Naples’ festering rubbish being sent to an incinerator.
But the public health situation in Italy’s third city appears to be no nearer to being cleaned up.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 14Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Latest world news
Ankara: Dozens killed in twin blasts Turkey blames on terrorism
Twin blasts kill dozens in Turkish capital
Party in Pyongyang: North Korea celebrates 70 years of Worker’s Party
US and Russia to resume talks on air safety over Syria
Friday proves deadly in Israel and the Palestinian territories as violence goes up another notch
Wires > News
- 13:55 CET Sudan’s Bashir urges rebels to resume talks, only one notable…
- 12:48 CET Germany, EU deny report on European solidarity tax
- 12:32 CET Twin bombs kill 30 at pro-Kurdish rally in Turkish capital
- 12:05 CET Nobel laureate chemist Richard Heck, 84, dies in Manila
- 11:51 CET Spain arrests 89 accused of running people-smuggling ring
- 11:22 CET Isolated North Korea says ready for war with U.S. as it marks…
- 10:56 CET Hundreds face off in Australian town in anti-Islam protest
- 10:16 CET Accidental China restaurant explosion kills at least 17 – Xinhua