A suspected cholera outbreak has killed nearly 140 people in central Haiti.
Patients have swarmed local hospitals suffering from acute diarrhea, fever and vomiting. About 1500 cases have so far been reported with some victims dying within hours from rapid dehydration.
Health officials say the Caribbean Island is facing its biggest medical crisis since January’s devastating earthquake.
One man said:’‘I brought my little sister here for treatment after a long journey by motorcycle. The taxi drivers refused to carry her because they said she’s already infected and they would not take any chances.’‘
Officials are still awaiting test results to prove cholera is the cause, but if so, there are fears the intestinal infection could spread rapidly in Haiti’s ramshackled townships, especially around Port-au-Prince.
For the moment no cases have been reported in the capital, but some 1.5 million people remain homeless in the city following the January 12 quake that killed nearly a quarter of a million.